Are you feeling sluggish after springing forward? Join the club.
One way to shake the sleepiness is to start exercising. Follow along for a refresher on ways to ease into exercises in the new season. The PediFix team has a few pointers to help you stay injury-free and ready to exercise regularly.
Before we share our pointers, here is your reminder that your footwear is one of the first details to consider. Wearing the wrong pair of shoes is the leading cause of injuries. Regardless of the sport or the season, every person needs proper fitting and supportive shoes.
Whether you are returning to physical activity after a few weeks or a few years, here are three ways to do things the right way:
1. Start Slowly
Before you choose the high-impact aerobics class or run 5 miles, consider these suggestions for starting slowly:
- · Schedule an appointment with your doctor to make sure your body is ready to move
- · Start with a 15-minute stretching session before beginning a burst of movement
- · Begin working out in increments and build your endurance at a comfortable pace
2. Stay hydrated
If you are not sweating, there is a problem: you need more water. Staying hydrated is one of the top ways to feel best during your workout. Follow these tips:
- · Choose water over sugary drinks
- · Drink water throughout the day to prepare for exercise
- · Consider water breaks as part of your exercise routine
3. Stick to your routine
When exercising, the correct form is important. A healthy routine is, too. Skipping steps like stretching or moving improperly can lead to injuries. If you are ready to try something new, think about these options:
- · Ask an instructor to show you a new exercise
- · If you feel pain at any time, stop and reconsider the movement
- · Stretch before and after exercising to prepare and protect your body
We know that avoiding an injury is a top priority as you begin a new exercise routine this spring. We hope these tips help you start with success and create a healthy, active lifestyle. Bring a friend or family member along as you spring forward into a new season of health.
Do you still have questions about how to address your pain? We’re in the business of helping people find relief from foot and ankle conditions. We have solutions, and we’re here to answer questions about our products. Please call 1-800-PEDIFIX (733-4349) to learn more. Our product specialists are ready to support your needs.